Metro News Release
For immediate release: July 12, 2011
Orange, Red, Blue and Yellow line service affected by weekend track work July 15-17
Customers advised to allow 20 to 30 minutes of additional travel time
Metro will advance important track work projects this weekend on the Orange, Red, Blue and Yellow lines, beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, July 15, and continuing through closing on Sunday, July 17. Customers should take note of the following service impacts:
Orange Line – 10 p.m., Friday through closing Sunday
- From 10 p.m., Friday, July 15, through closing on Sunday, July 17, buses will replace trains between East Falls Church and West Falls Church stations to allow for construction that will eventually connect the new rail line to the existing Metrorail system.
- East Falls Church and West Falls Church stations will remain open.
- Free shuttle buses will operate between East Falls Church and West Falls Church stations.
- The last train will depart Vienna 20 minutes earlier than usual—at 2:08 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights and at 11:08 p.m. on Sunday.
- Between Vienna and West Falls Church stations, trains will operate every 24 minutes and share one track while personnel replace cross ties and insulators.
- Customers traveling through the work zone should allow about 30 minutes of additional travel time.
Red Line – 10 p.m. Friday through closing Sunday
- Red Line trains will share one track between Dupont Circle and Judiciary Square stations to allow for ceiling repairs at Farragut North, as well as replacement of rail fasteners, installation of new emergency phones and communication cables.
- Between 9:30 a.m. and 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Red Line trains will depart every 10 minutes from Shady Grove and Glenmont. Every other train leaving the Shady Grove station will terminate at the Dupont Circle station. Every other train leaving the Glenmont station will terminate at Union Station.
- At all other times during the weekend, Red Line trains will depart every 20 minutes from Shady Grove and Glenmont, subject to delays en route due to single tracking.
- The last train departing Glenmont will leave 11 minutes earlier than usual—at 2:26 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights and at 11:26 p.m. on Sunday.
- Red Line customers should allow about 30 minutes of additional travel time.
Blue and Yellow Lines – 10 p.m. Friday through closing Sunday
- Blue and Yellow Line trains will share one track between Braddock Road and Van Dorn Street/Huntington stations as crews install new rail and related infrastructure.
- Blue Line trains will depart Franconia-Springfield and Largo Town Center stations every 24 minutes.
- Yellow Line trains will operate between Huntington and Mt. Vernon Sq/7th St-Convention Center stations every 24 minutes. (Yellow Line trains will not operate between Mt. Vernon Sq. and Fort Totten.)
- Blue and Yellow Line customers should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time.
Farragut North Station
- The north entrance (L Street/Connecticut Avenue NW) at Farragut North Station will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday through closing Sunday due to construction activity. Customers should use the K Street entrance instead.
Metro is advancing a six-year, $5 billion Capital Improvement Program (CIP) that is focused on safety and bringing the Metro system into a state of good repair. In FY2012, the CIP includes projects to replace escalators; retrofit track; replace critical track circuitry and equipment along the right of way; rehabilitate third-rail power systems, running rail and track pads; modernize 12 stations; replace 100 Metrobuses and the rehabilitate 100 more; renovate three bus garages; and install 30 new track turnouts.
The Trip Planner on Metro’s website will not reflect the impact of this work on schedules. For more information on traveling by Metrobus or Metrorail, customers may call 202-637-7000 or TTY 202-638-3780, or visit metroopensdoors.com.
News release issued at 1:21 pm, July 12, 2011.