Below are directions to the Metrorail stations most accessible from outside
of the Washington, DC metropolitan area. These stations also have the largest parking lots. Parking is free at Metro-operated lots on weekends and federal holidays. Most weekends, it's easy to find a space at Metro parking
lots. On weekdays, they fill up early.
For information on parking costs and payment options, see our Parking at Metrorail Stations page.
Arriving from the North (Philadelphia, Baltimore
via I-95 or Baltimore-Washington Parkway)
- From north or west of Washington, take I-495 east/south to Exit
24, which takes you directly to Greenbelt Metrorail station.
- From south or east of
Washington, take I-495 west/north to
exit 23 (Kenilworth Avenue/Maryland Route 201).
- Take Route 201 north
- Turn left onto Cherrywood Lane and look for Metro
station signs. The station entrance is
on the right off Cherrywood Lane immediately after the bridge crossing
- From north of Washington via I-95 or Route 29, take I-95 south
to I-495/I-95 east/south toward
Andrews Air Force Base. Take I-495 east/south to exit 24 (Greenbelt Metrorail station).
- From the Beltway, use the Branch Avenue exit in the direction of Marlow
Heights and Washington. Auth Road is the first traffic light inside
the Beltway. (Note: You can only turn one way into Auth Road. The other
way is the ramp to the westbound Beltway.)
- From Allentown Road (Andrews
Air Force Base area), use Auth Road to Old Soper Road.
Arriving from the Northwest (Frederick via I-270)
To Shady Grove:
- Follow I-270 to I-370 East exit.
- Proceed east for approximately three miles. Look for the
Metro logo and station signs for Shady Grove Metrorail station and parking.
Arriving from the West (Front Royal, Manassas
- Take I-66 east to Nutley Street (VA Rte. 243) South.
- Follow signs to Metrorail parking.
Arriving from the South (Fredericksburg via I-95)
- From south of Washington via I-95, take Franconia Road (Rte. 644) east to the second
traffic light, Frontier Drive.
- Turn right on Frontier Drive and continue on Frontier
Drive, under the Franconia-Springfield Parkway, to Franconia-Springfield Metrorail station.
- Proceed north on I-95 to the intersection of I-95 and I-495 (Capital Beltway).
- Follow I-95
north (Outer Loop) to Exit 2A-Telegraph Road South.
- At the end of the exit ramp, continue straight
onto Huntington Avenue. The station is approximately a half mile away on the right.
Arriving from Southern Maryland (via Route 210-Indian
To Branch Ave:
- From the Beltway, use the Branch Avenue exit in the direction of Marlow Heights and Washington. Auth Road is the first traffic light inside the Beltway. (Note: You can only turn one way into Auth Road. The other way is the ramp to the westbound Beltway.)
- From Allentown Road (Andrews Air Force Base area), use Auth Road to Old Soper Road.
Arriving from the East (Annapolis, Eastern Shore
via US 50)
To New Carrollton:
- Follow U.S. Route 50 West to the sign marked I-95 North toward Silver Spring.
- Do not enter
the highway; instead take the exit that says "Local Only - Garden City Drive." Look for
Metrorail station signs. The station is approximately 3/4 mile ahead on the right.