Employers & Employees SAVE $$$ with SmartBenefits®
SmartBenefits® is an IRS-compliant program that offers employers and employees an opportunity to save thousands in taxes using a pre-tax transit benefit payroll deduction; a direct employer-paid transit benefit; or a combination of the two. Employers may save $400 or more annually in FICA and unemployment taxes for each SmartBenefits® participant. Each participating employee may save $1,000 or more annually in taxes.
Employers may save even more by also taking advantage of the Commuter Choice Maryland Benefits Program and Montgomery County's FareShare Program. Employees may also be eligible for incentives such as Fairfax County's SmartBenefits® Plus50 .
DC employers with 20 or more employees can use SmartBenefits® to comply with the DC Commuter Benefits Law that took effect in 2016.
Metro does not charge a fee to use the valuable SmartBenefits® program. Employers simply pay for the passes, fares or parking ordered as part of their benefits or payroll deduction program. Metro automatically delivers SmartBenefits to the employees that have registered SmarTrip® cards or to other participating providers such as MARC, VRE, MTA Commuter Bus and vanpools. Unused monthly benefits may be credited to future employer orders or rolled over for each employee's future use.
Have questions? Check out the Learn More links below. Interested employers may also send an email to our SmartBenefits® account team.
Ready to open a SmartBenefits® employer account? Apply here. Remember, Metro does not charge a fee to participate in SmartBenefits®, so there's no risk to apply.
Employees may participate only after their employer has enrolled in SmartBenefits®.
Learn More: Employers
- SmartBenefits® Employer Brochure
- Transit Benefit Tax Advantages and the Law
- goDCgo Free Transit Consulting Services
Learn More: Employees
- SmartBenefits® Employee Brochure
- SmartBenefits® at a glance card
- Claim Your Transit or Parking SmartBenefits®
- Claim Official Travel Funds via SmartBenefits®
- Use SmartBenefits® with Transit Providers that Do Not Accept SmarTrip® Cards such as MARC; VRE; MTA Commuter Bus; and Vanpools
- List of SmartBenefits® Transit Providers
- Use SmartBenefits® to Purchase a Transit Pass on Metro; Regional Buses; and the Baltimore MTA / Transit Pass FAQs
SmarTrip® Account (check your SmartBenefits® account balance)
Passenger Allocation System (for transit providers that do not accept SmarTrip® cards)