For immediate release: April 28, 2022
Metro to improve service on the Green and Yellow lines beginning next MondayMetro will increase service on the Green and Yellow lines beginning Monday, May 2, to meet ridership demand as more railcars become available.
Beginning Monday, train frequencies will increase from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes on the Green and Yellow lines, meaning stations serviced by both lines – from Greenbelt to L’Enfant Plaza – will see trains every seven to eight minutes. The Green and Yellow lines were chosen for service improvements to mitigate crowding due to high ridership, especially during peak hours.
Red Line trains continue to operate every 10 minutes, and Blue, Orange, and Silver line trains continue to operate every 20 minutes, with more frequent service at stations that are served by multiple lines throughout the system.
Ridership on Metro has steadily increased over the past few months as more customers return to the workplace and enjoy leisure activities throughout the region. Weekday ridership on Metrorail this month is averaging about 230,000 trips, more than double the ridership of April 2021.
With more customers returning, Metro continues to do its part to ensure safety on the system, including frequent cleanings, improved air circulation and filtration, and providing free masks at rail stations and on buses.
Metro encourages all customers to be mindful of the following tips to maximize their experience:
- See Something, Say Something – Report suspicious activity to MTPD by texting MY-MTPD (69-6873) or calling 202-962-2121.
- Metro can help you plan - Use our Trip Planner to help you determine the best route to your destination.
- Determine when your train or bus will arrive - Use Next Arrivals for real-time Metrorail or Metrobus arrival times to minimize wait times on station platforms and at bus stops.
- Give yourself additional time - Allow an additional five to seven minutes in your travel plans to avoid missing your train or bus.
- Go Mobile – SmarTrip for iPhone and Android makes paying for Metro easy. Download our app, then tap & go wherever you use SmarTrip - for Metrobus, Metrorail, and parking.