Beginning November 13, DC students must tap their DC One Card
Starting November 13, all DC students must tap their DC One Card to ride Metrobus or Metrorail for free.
If you don't have your card or you're having problems with it, contact your school before the November 13 deadline.
If your pass is not loaded, follow these steps.
At a Metrorail station (best option)
- Take your DC Once Card to a Metrorail station and tap it at a fare vending machine. If you see a negative balance, add money to bring it up to $0. A negative balance will block the pass from working.
- On the next day, return to the same Metrorail station and tap your card on a fare vending machine again to load the pass.
- Tap your card on a faregate or bus farebox to use your pass.
On Metrobus or DC Circulator
- Tap your DC One card on a Metrobus farebox
- Wait 3 business days for the pass to become available for loading.
- Tap the card again on any Metrobus farebox to complete loading and to use the pass.
NO PASS, NO FREE RIDE
Until the free pass loads onto your DC One Card, students MUST pay regular fare to ride Metrorail, Metrobus or DC Circulator
Problems with your card?
Talk to a station manager, call 202-673-1740 or visit kidsridefree.dc.gov