Art in Transit
In fulfilling its mission, WMATA recognizes that artwork at Metro transit facilities celebrates the cultural diversity of the region, adds value to the transit experience, inspires community pride and builds ridership.
WMATA's Art in Transit Program incorporates artworks and provide performances at the Authority's transit facilities to enhance public spaces and provide high-quality arts experiences for transit customers and the public. The Art in Transit Program is committed to working with artists, other arts professionals, architects, engineers, community representatives, jurisdictional arts councils and the WMATA Board of Directors to develop projects that reflect the spirit and vitality of the arts and communities in the Metro service area. Often Metro, in collaboration with its partners, will call for submissions of art to enhance stations, or neighboring areas. Click to check out the latest callThe Art in Transit program contributes to the cultural vitality of the region by:
- Utilizing the WMATA transit environment as a place where customers and the public can enjoy the arts as a regular part of their daily lives.
- Incorporating artwork into WMATA transit facilities to enhance the travel experience of customers and to attract new riders.
- Contributing to the image of the region as a place where art abounds, and where the artistic interests of its communities are recognized, valued and celebrated.
- Encouraging public and private partnerships to support art projects that may not be achieved independently.
- Mitigating the impact of construction on surrounding communities by incorporating artwork into the preparation and building phases of transit projects.
- Increasing enthusiasm and support of WMATA and its interest in serving the public and the arts by involving diverse communities throughout the region in Arts in Transit projects.
- Encouraging ridership by deterring vandalism and increasing safety and security
All images contained on this website have been reproduced with the knowledge and prior consent of the artists presented and no responsibility is accepted by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority for any infringement of copyright or otherwise, arising from the contents of this website.