Fiscal Year 2023 Budget and Proposed Fare and Service Changes
Metro’s Fiscal Year 2023 Budget
In March 2022, Metro’s Board of Directors approved the $4.8 billion operating and capital budgets for Fiscal Year 2023 (effective July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022). The FY23 budget focuses on providing safe, reliable, and affordable transit service to the region.
Here are some highlights of Metro’s FY23 budget:
The $2.4 billion operating budget maintains improvements that started in 2021 and adds more service and discounts throughout 2022.
Lower fares and discounted passes
- Free bus transfers to/from rail. Ride Metrobus free when transferring to/from Metrorail. Receive a $2 transfer discount that covers the fare for most Metrobus routes, except Express routes, when using a SmarTrip card.
- Cheaper weekend one-way Metrorail fares. Just $2 for any one-way trip all weekend ($1 for senior/disabled fare).
- Cheaper 7-day regional bus passes. Get a 7-day regional bus pass for just $12 and a senior/ disabled pass for only $6.
- Cheaper late-night Metrorail fares. Just $2 for any one-way trip after 9:30 p.m. ($1 for senior/disabled fare).
- Cheaper monthly unlimited passes. Metrorail and Metrobus Unlimited Passes will cost $64-$192, depending on the distance selected. That’s a discount of approximately 10%. The pass typically pays for itself after 32 trips in a month.
- Fifty percent off the 7-Day Unlimited Pass. Ride unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus for a week for $29.
- Maintain current operating hours
- Monday-Thursday 5 a.m.-midnight
- Friday 5 a.m.-1 a.m.
- Saturday 7 a.m.-1 a.m.
- Sunday 7 a.m.-midnight
- Maintain weekday service improvements started in September 2021*
- Blue, Orange, Silver, Green, and Yellow line trains every 10 minutes during rush hours (6:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m.), every 12 minutes during middays and evenings, and every 15 minutes after 9:30 p.m. (7 days a week)
- Red Line trains every 10 minutes after 9:30 p.m. (7 days a week)
- Note: Trains are more frequent at stations served by more than one line.
- More Red Line weekday rush hour service*
- Red Line trains every 5 minutes during rush hours (6:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m.)
- More weekend service*
- Red Line trains every 6 minutes (from opening to 9:30 p.m.)
- Blue, Orange, Silver, Green, and Yellow line trains every 12 minutes (from opening to 9:30 p.m.)
- Support launch of rail service to seven new stations
- Silver Line Phase 2: Reston Town Center, Herndon, Innovation Center, Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway, and Ashburn stations
- Potomac Yard Station: Located on the Blue and Yellow lines between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Braddock Rd stations
- Frequent service network with 12 or 20-minute service on 36 of our most popular lines.
- Increased service to address crowding on selected lines.
- Service restoration to pre-pandemic levels on selected lines.
- The Metro Sales Office will close on or around July 1, 2022. All services offered at the Sales Office are available at fare vending machines, online, or Metro’s retail partner network.
- Senior SmarTrip customer service will be available at the new Transit Accessibility Center at L’Enfant Plaza (300 7th St SW, Washington, D.C.) on or around July 1, 2022.