2023 Metrobus Farebox Replacement Project
We're improving and modernizing your experience.
We're excited to upgrade all of our Metrobus fareboxes among the entire fleet-that's 1,600 buses that service 11,500 bus stops across DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
Over the next year, customers will see new fareboxes and separate SmarTrip® card readers that will:
- Process coins and bills faster
- Have larger, brighter, and full color display for better visibility
- Be more reliable due to upgrades in technology
- To minimize impacts to your commute, installations will take place only on buses that are out of service.
New Way to Add Value to your SmarTrip Card
There's a new way to add money to your SmarTrip Card-and you can also check your balance!
To add money to a SmarTrip® card:
- Press +
- Tap SmarTrip® card to reader
- Insert $/¢
- After adding $/¢ press O
- Tap SmarTrip® card to reader again
Bills, coins, and approved tokens continue to be accepted at the farebox.
|Farebox Installations begin
|New fareboxes installed on 25% of Metrobuses
|New fareboxes installed on 50% of Metrobuses