New Carrollton Joint Development Project Overview
About the ProjectThe multi-phased New Carrollton Joint Development project will create mixed-use development to establish the New Carrollton Metrorail Station as a leading transit hub in the National Capital Region. The New Carrollton Joint Development Project is part of Metro’s Capital Improvement Program.
In the early 2000s, Metro and Prince George’s County embraced a unified vision to transform New Carrollton Metrorail Station into a regional transit hub. By 2015, Metro and New Carrollton JV, LLC entered into a development agreement to develop Metro-owned property at the New Carrollton Metrorail Station in New Carrollton, Maryland.
Project Schedule of Activities*
The project is occurring along the east side of the New Carrollton Metrorail Station.
- Phase 1 construction broke ground in 2017 and is expected to be completed by 2021.
- Phase 2 construction is expected to start in fall 2020, after Metro announced plans for a new “urban town center” concept for New Carrollton in early 2020.
- Future phases will be announced pending public input and Metro board approval.
- Maximizing the use of multiple modes of transit to provide the region with safe and reliable transportation options including:
- Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess
- Prince George’s County The Bus
- Establishing a downtown and urban environment by:
- Accelerating 2.7 million square feet of mixed-use development on Metro property
- Catalyzing development of underutilized properties within a half-mile of the Metrorail station
- Creating a walkable environment
Public participation is critical to the success of the New Carrollton Joint Development Project. Metro continues to solicit community feedback through public hearings. The Metro Board of Directors reviews comments from public hearings prior to approving all future development plans.