Solar Carport Project
As one of the single largest energy users in the region, Metro is an important partner for meeting regional energy goals. Metro is leveraging its real estate portfolio to deliver renewable energy to local communities through the innovative and community-oriented solar carport project.
Subscribe to our newsletter for updates!
After extensive planning, Metro completed a competitive selection process for the solar carports project. In 2020, Metro negotiated a 25-year contract with TotalEnergies (formerly SunPower Corporation’s Commercial & Industrial Solar Business) to install and subsidiaries of MN8 Energy LLC (f/k/a Goldman Sachs Renewable Power LLC). to own and operate solar carports at four Metro sites.
When the solar carports are operational, the 11 acres of solar panels (equivalent to 8 football fields) will collectively generate around 10 megawatts of electrical capacity, or generating power equivalent to the power used by at least 1,100 homes annually, making this project one of the largest community solar projects in the Mid-Atlantic and in the nation.
The project is part of Metro’s sustainability initiatives and Energy Action Plan and will help advance the Clean Energy DC Plan that seeks to cut carbon emissions in half and transition to 100 percent renewable energy by 2032.
*According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Provide renewable energy to Pepco’s service area by partnering with TotalEnergies to install photovoltaic solar panels at selected sites. All electricity generated will be delivered to residential and commercial customers.
- Support the authority’s operating budget through long-term revenue from subsidiaries of MN8 which will own and operate the solar power system and provide annual payments to Metro.
- Improve customer amenities through covered parking (offering shade and protection from extreme weather), improved light-emitting diode (LED) lighting, new security cameras and emergency call boxes.
- Anacostia (Fall 2021 – Winter 2023)
- Southern Ave (Spring 2022 – Winter 2023)
- Naylor Road (Spring 2022 - Winter 2023)
- Cheverly (Fall 2022 – Fall 2023)