Metro has taken control of the six new Silver Line stations, 11.4 miles of new track, and a new rail yard! Constructed by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA), the Silver Line Extension was turned over to Metro when ORD (Operational Readiness Date) was declared on June 23, 2022. After this declaration, Metro must conduct extensive operational training and testing required before the start of service.
The Silver Line Extension will bring the Metrorail system into Loudoun County, Virginia. The extension stretches 11.4 miles past the current Silver Line terminus station at Wiehle-Reston East. With the opening of the Silver Line Extension Metrorail will provide a direct connection to Washington Dulles International Airport where more than 600 flights arrive and depart each day.
Six new Metrorail stations are part of the Extension:
- Reston Town Center
- Innovation Center
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Loudoun Gateway
Metro will also operate a new, 90-acre rail yard with storage capacity for 168 railcars and maintenance facilities to service, inspect and clean the trains.
In the coming weeks, Metro's Board of Directors will set the official opening date. Check back for the official Silver Line Extension opening date and information!
- Download English Brochure
- Download Spanish Brochure
- Download Korean Brochure
- Download Amharic Rack Card
- Download Arabic Rack Card
- Download Chinese Simplified Rack Card
- Download Chinese Traditional Rack Card
- Download English Rack Card
- Download French Rack Card
- Download Korean Rack Card
- Download Somali Rack Card
- Download Spanish Rack Card
- Download Vietnamese Rack Card