Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Escalator Replacement
Advisory Effective: 12/11/23 - 8/31/24
On December 11, 2023, Metro will begin a major capital project replacing the four escalators at the south entrance at Terminal 2 at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. The four escalators will be replaced with brand-new ones that are more durable and reliable. The escalators are being installed as part of an Escalator Replacement Project to replace 130 escalators across the Metrorail system by 2028.
How will this work affect my trip?
The four escalators at the south entrance will be replaced two at a time. During construction, one platform will be closed, and all trains will board from the opposite platform. Train service will not be impacted.
- For approximately four months from December 11, 2023 - April 2024:
- The platform for trains traveling in the direction of Huntington/Franconia-Springfield will be closed.
- All Blue and Yellow Line trains in both directions will board from the opposite platform usually signed in the direction of Mt Vernon Square/Downtown Largo.
- Following the completion of the first two escalators, for approximately four months:
- The platform for trains traveling in the direction of Mt Vernon Square/Downtown Largo will be closed.
- All Blue and Yellow Line trains in both directions will board from the platform usually signed in the direction of Huntington/Franconia-Springfield.
At all times during construction, one escalator going up and one escalator going down between the mezzanine and the open platform will be available for customer use at both entrances. The elevator going to/from the open platform will also remain in service.
How long will the project take?
The replacement of all eight escalators is expected to be completed in August 2024.
How can I stay informed about the project?
Additional information can be found on the Escalator, Canopy and Elevator project page. Customers are also encouraged to sign up for MetroAlerts text or email messages to receive project updates and service information or contact Customer Relations at 202-637-7000 with additional questions.