Planned Metrorail Track Work
Metro has transitioned to a new program of preventive maintenance and planned capital work. Overnight and weekend hours will be used for enhanced preventive maintenance including cable testing to prevent smoke and fire incidents, stray current testing, trackbed cleaning, switch maintenance, torqueing (tightening fasteners, joint nuts and bolts) to eliminate excessive strain on infrastructure, and track geometry work to ensure the correct rail alignment.
NOTE: Every effort will be made to adhere to the schedule below. However, changes may be necessary due to weather, construction delays and other factors outside our control. This page will be updated as necessary.
Capital ProjectsThere are four capital improvement projects in the second half of the year that will impact service for some customers. The projects, which are necessary to ensure continued safe and reliable operations, are being scheduled during times of the year when ridership is lighter to minimize customer inconvenience. Due to the "heavy construction" nature of capital work, these projects will, in many cases, impact service levels at all times of the day.
Saturday, July 21 - Labor Day, Monday, September 3
Immediately following All-Star Week, Metro will return to Rhode Island Avenue Station to complete necessary structural repair work that begun during SafeTrack. Rhode Island Avenue Station was closed on an emergency basis in 2016 when concrete fell from the aerial structure. Metro engineers stabilized the structure and advanced as much remediation work as possible during a SafeTrack surge in 2016. This 45-day project will allow crews to complete structural repairs at Metro's oldest outdoor station, including addressing deteriorating platform conditions that affect the ADA-accessibility of the station.
- Rhode Island Avenue and Brookland stations will be closed for 45 days, from July 21 through September 3.
- During the weekend of July 28-29, Fort Totten (Red Line) and Takoma will also be closed.
- There will be no Red Line service between Fort Totten and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations. Red Line customers should transfer to Green or Yellow line trains between Fort Totten and Gallery Place to avoid the work zone. Metro will add capacity to the Green/Yellow lines to accommodate Red Line riders, including running some Yellow Line trains to/from Greenbelt. During rush hours, Red Line trains will operate every 6 minutes between Shady Grove and NoMa-Gallaudet, and every 10 minutes between Glenmont and Fort Totten.
- For customers traveling to/from Brookland or Rhode Island Ave stations, free shuttle buses will provide alternate service between Fort Totten, Brookland, Rhode Island Ave, and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations. In addition, Metro will operate express shuttles between Brookland and Rhode Island Ave and the areas of Metro Center, Gallery Place and Union Station.
- MetroExtra G9 will operate at all hours the rail system is open, seven days per week, connecting Rhode Island Ave with Downtown DC and other rail and bus lines.
- To reduce travel times, Metro has received approval from the District Department of Transportation to use a new dedicated bus lane along Rhode Island Ave. NE for MetroExtra G9 from North Capitol St. to 12th St. NE. The lane will operate Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips to or from stations between Glenmont and NoMa-Gallaudet U. The program will remain in effect for Red Line travel between Shady Grove and NoMa-Gallaudet U.
Saturday, August 11 - Sunday, August 26
For 16 consecutive days (including 10 commuting days) when ridership is lightest in August, Metro will address the tightest curve in the entire Metrorail system between McPherson Square and Smithsonian Stations. Working around the clock, crews will rebuild the track infrastructure, including installation of new rail, new fasteners, and repairs to the concrete pads that support the rails. Crews will work on each track for approximately one week at a time so that single-track service can be maintained. 24/7 work zone with single tracking between McPherson Square and Smithsonian.
- For 10 commuting days, all Orange, Silver and Blue line customers are encouraged to use alternate transportation, as rail service will be significantly reduced.
- Orange and Silver line trains will single track between McPherson Square and Smithsonian, with trains running only every 20 minutes at all times of the day.
- During rush hours, additional Yellow Line trains will operate every 16 minutes between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt, in addition to Blue Line trains running every 16 minutes between Franconia-Springfield and Arlington Cemetery.
- On the weekends of August 11-12 and 25-26, Farragut West, McPherson Square, Metro Center (Orange/Silver/Blue lines) and Federal Triangle will be closed.
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Blue, Orange or Silver lines.
Friday, November 2 - Monday, November 5
Over a four-day period in early November, including two commuting days, Metro will improve/upgrade several switches outside Reagan National Airport, as well as install new concrete pads beneath the rails along the aerial structure at the airport station.
- Reagan National Airport and Crystal City stations closed.
- Free shuttle buses replace trains between Braddock Rd and Pentagon City.
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Yellow and Blue lines on Friday, November 2, or Monday, November 5, but will remain in effect for customers on other lines. Additional details and service information will be announced in Summer 2018.
- No Yellow Line Service between Virginia and DC; use Blue Line as alternate.
- Yellow Line service will run between Huntington and Reagan National Airport only.
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Yellow and Blue lines during this time, but will remain in effect for customers on other lines. Additional details and service information will be announced in Fall 2018.
For details about this weekend's track work, including minor projects that may impact your trip, view wmata.com/weekend.
|Start||End||Line||Impact||Stations Affected||Work Performed|
|Jun 23||Jun 24||Weekend single tracking - Grosvenor to Twinbrook||White Flint||Rail, fastener & coverboard renewal|
|Jun 23||Jun 24||Weekend single tracking - Foggy Bottom to Clarendon||Rosslyn & Court House||Communication cable installation|
|Jun 23||Jun 24||Weekend shutdown - Arlington Cemetery||Arlington Cemetery||Communication cable installation|
|Jun 25||Jun 28||Weeknight single tracking - Silver Spring to Wheaton||Forest Glen||Communication cable installation|
|Jun 25||Jun 28||Weeknight single tracking - Eastern Market to Stadium-Armory||Potomac Ave||Fastener & grout pad renewal|
|Jun 25||Jun 28||Weeknight single tracking - National Airport to Braddock Rd||National Airport & Braddock Rd||Communication cable installation|
|Jun 26||Jun 28||Weeknight single tracking - Eastern Market to Stadium-Armory||Potomac Ave||Fastener & grout pad renewal|
|Jun 30||Jul 1||Weekend shut down - Friendship Heights to Grosvenor||Bethesda & Medical Center||Track maintenance & leak mitigation|
|Jun 30||Jul 1||Weekend single tracking - Eastern Market to Stadium-Armory||Potomac Ave||Fastener & grout pad renewal|
|Jun 30||Jul 1||Weekend single tracking - National Airport to Braddock Rd||National Airport & Braddock Rd||Fastener & rail renewal|
|Jul 2||Jul 2||Weeknight single tracking - Foggy Bottom to Smithsonian||Farragut West, McPherson Sq, Metro Center & Federal Triangle||Communication cable installation|
|Jul 2||Jul 2||Weeknight single tracking - Friendship Heights to Medical Center||Bethesda||Leak mitigation|
|Jul 5||Jul 5||Weeknight single tracking - Friendship Heights to Medical Center||Bethesda||Leak mitigation|
|Jul 5||Jul 5||Weeknight single tracking - Foggy Bottom to Smithsonian||Farragut West, McPherson Sq, Metro Center & Federal Triangle||Communication cable installation|
|Jul 7||Jul 8||Weekend single tracking - Foggy Bottom to Smithsonian||Farragut West, McPherson Sq, Metro center & Federal Triangle||Communication cable installation|
|Jul 7||Jul 8||Weekend single tracking - Fort Totten to Prince George's Plaza||West Hyattsville||Fastener & rail renewal|
|Jul 7||Jul 8||Weekend shutdown - Judiciary Sq to Rhode Island Ave||NoMa-Gallaudet||Rail & fastener renewal|
|Jul 21||Sep 3||Rhode Island Ave shutdown||Rhode Island Ave & Brookland||Station structural repairs|
|Jul 28||Jul 29||Weekend shutdown - NoMa Gallaudet to Takoma||Rhode Island Ave, Brookland & Fort Totten||Switch maintenance|
|Aug 4||Aug 5||Weekend shutdown - Foggy Bottom to Arlington Cemetery and Clarendon||Rossyln & Courthouse||Fastener renewal|
|Aug 11||Aug 25||Single tracking McPherson Sq to Smithsonian||Metro Center, Federal Triangle||Infrastructure rebuilding|
|Aug 11||Aug 12||Weekend shutdown - Foggy Bottom to Smithsonian||Farragut West, McPherson Sq, Metro center & Federal Triangle||Infrastructure rebuilding|
|Nov 2||Nov 5||Shutdown - National Airport & Crystal City||National Airport & Crystal City||Switch replacement|
|Nov 26||Dec 8||Shutdown - Yellow Line bridge||L'Enfant Plaza||Infrastructure repair & renewal|