Planned Metrorail Track Work
Metro has transitioned to a new program of preventive maintenance and planned capital work. Overnight and weekend hours will be used for enhanced preventive maintenance including cable testing to prevent smoke and fire incidents, stray current testing, trackbed cleaning, switch maintenance, torqueing (tightening fasteners, joint nuts and bolts) to eliminate excessive strain on infrastructure, and track geometry work to ensure the correct rail alignment.
NOTE: Every effort will be made to adhere to the schedule below. However, changes may be necessary due to weather, construction delays and other factors outside our control. This page will be updated as necessary.
Capital ProjectsThere are four capital improvement projects in the second half of the year that will impact service for some customers. The projects, which are necessary to ensure continued safe and reliable operations, are being scheduled during times of the year when ridership is lighter to minimize customer inconvenience. Due to the "heavy construction" nature of capital work, these projects will, in many cases, impact service levels at all times of the day.
Saturday, July 21 - Labor Day, Monday, September 3
Immediately following All-Star Week, Metro will return to Rhode Island Avenue Station to complete necessary structural repair work that begun during SafeTrack. Rhode Island Avenue Station was closed on an emergency basis in 2016 when concrete fell from the aerial structure. Metro engineers stabilized the structure and advanced as much remediation work as possible during a SafeTrack surge in 2016. This 45-day project will allow crews to complete structural repairs at Metro's oldest outdoor station, including addressing deteriorating platform conditions that affect the ADA-accessibility of the station.
- Rhode Island Ave and Brookland stations closed.
- No Red Line service between Fort Totten and NoMa-Gallaudet stations; use Green Line as alternate.
- Shuttle buses provide service between Fort Totten, Brookland, Rhode Island Ave, and NoMa-Gallaudet stations. Red Line trains will operate in two segments: between Shady Grove & NoMa-Gallaudet and between Fort Totten & Glenmont.
- Rush Hour Promise will remain in effect for most rail customers; however, certain Red Line trips will be excluded due to service adjustments. Additional details and service information will be announced in Spring 2018.
Saturday, August 11 - Sunday, August 26
For 16 consecutive days (including 10 commuting days) when ridership is lightest in August, Metro will address the tightest curve in the entire Metrorail system between McPherson Square and Smithsonian Stations. Working around the clock, crews will rebuild the track infrastructure, including installation of new rail, new fasteners, and repairs to the concrete pads that support the rails. Crews will work on each track for approximately one week at a time so that single-track service can be maintained. 24/7 work zone with single tracking between McPherson Square and Smithsonian.
- Significantly reduced service on Orange, Blue and Silver lines. Service patterns will be altered (details to be announced).
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Blue, Orange or Silver lines during this time, but will remain in effect for customers on other lines. Additional details and service information will be announced in Summer 2018.
Friday, November 2 - Monday, November 5
Over a four-day period in early November, including two commuting days, Metro will improve/upgrade several switches outside Reagan National Airport, as well as install new concrete pads beneath the rails along the aerial structure at the airport station.
- Reagan National Airport and Crystal City stations closed.
- Free shuttle buses replace trains between Braddock Rd and Pentagon City.
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Yellow and Blue lines on Friday, November 2, or Monday, November 5, but will remain in effect for customers on other lines. Additional details and service information will be announced in Summer 2018.
- No Yellow Line Service between Virginia and DC; use Blue Line as alternate.
- Yellow Line service will run between Huntington and Reagan National Airport only.
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Yellow and Blue lines during this time, but will remain in effect for customers on other lines. Additional details and service information will be announced in Fall 2018.
For details about this weekend's track work, including minor projects that may impact your trip, view wmata.com/weekend.
|Start||End||Line||Impact||Stations Affected||Work Performed|
|Feb 20||Feb 22||Weeknight single tracking - Van Ness to Friendship Heights||Tenleytown||Preventive maintenance|
|Feb 20||Feb 22||Weeknight single tracking - Georgia Ave to Fort Totten||Georgia Ave & Fort Totten||Radio cable installation|
|Feb 24||Feb 25||Weekend single tracking - Foggy Bottom to Arlington Cemetery & Clarendon||Rosslyn||Track maintenance & leak mitigation|
|Feb 24||Feb 25||Weekend shutdown - Wheaton to Glenmont||Wheaton & Glenmont||Track maintenance & leak mitigation|
|Feb 24||Feb 25||Weekend single tracking - Pentagon City to National Airport||Crystal City||Fastener renewal & joint elimination|
|Feb 26||Mar 1||Weeknight single tracking - Van Ness to Friendship Heights||Tenleytown||Preventive maintenance|
|Mar 3||Mar 4||Weekend single tracking - Judiciary Sq to Farragut North||Metro Center & Judiciary Sq||Fastener renewal & joint elimination|
|Mar 3||Mar 4||Weekend shutdown - Pentagon city to Braddock Rd||King St-Old Town||Communication cable installation|
|Mar 4||Mar 4||Safety exercise shutdown - Morgan Blvd to Largo Town Center||Morgan Blvd & Largo Town Center||Full scale safety exercise|
|Mar 5||Mar 8||Weeknight single tracking - Van Ness to Friendship Heights||Tenleytown||Preventive maintenance|
|Mar 10||Mar 11||Weekend single tracking - Smithsonian to Federal Center SW||L'Enfant Plaza||Fastener renewal & joint elimination|
|Mar 10||Mar 11||Weekend shutdown - Pentagon to L'Enfant Plaza||Pentagon & L'Enfant Plaza||Bridge inspection, fastener & insulator renewal|
|Jul 21||Sep 3||Rhode Island Ave shutdown||Rhode Island Ave & Brookland||Station structural repairs|
|Aug 11||Aug 25||Single tracking McPherson Sq to Smithsonian||Metro Center, Federal Triangle||Infrastructure rebuilding|
|Nov 2||Nov 5||Shutdown - National Airport & Crystal City||National Airport & Crystal City||Switch replacement|
|Nov 26||Dec 8||Shutdown - Yellow Line bridge||L'Enfant Plaza||Infrastructure repair & renewal|