Rosslyn Escalator Replacement
Advisory Effective: 1/2/24 - 12/31/25
On January 2, 2024, Metro will begin a major capital project replacing the four entrance escalators and four platform escalators at Rosslyn Station. The eight escalators will be replaced with brand-new ones that are more durable and reliable. The escalators are being installed as part of an ongoing Escalator Replacement Project to replace 130 escalators across the Metrorail system by 2028.
How will this work affect my trip?
- Eight escalators at Rosslyn Station will be replaced throughout the course of the project. During construction, multiple escalators will be closed at the same time. Work will occur in several phases:
- Phase 1: From January 2, 2024, to July 2024, one entrance escalator and one platform escalator will be closed. Three entrance escalators and three platform escalators will remain open.
- Phase 2: Beginning July 2024, one entrance escalator and two platform escalators will be closed. Three entrance escalators and two platform escalators will remain open.
- Phase 3: Two entrance escalators and one platform escalators will be closed. Two entrance escalators and three platform escalators will remain open.
Phases 2 and 3 will begin immediately after the prior phase ends.
- The station entrances and elevators will remain open throughout construction.
- Train service will not be impacted by the escalator replacement work.
- Barricades at the entrance and on the platforms will be installed for construction equipment storage and work zones. For your safety, avoid work zones and follow all posted signs to open elevators.
How long will the project take?
The replacement of all eight escalators is expected to be completed in December 2025.
How can I stay informed about the project?
Additional information can be found on the Escalator, Canopy and Elevator project page. Customers are also encouraged to sign up for MetroAlerts text or email messages to receive project updates and service information or contact Customer Relations at 202-637-7000 with additional questions.