SmarTrip® - the way to pay for Metro and regional transit providers in the Washington, DC area - already allows the ease to tap-and-go on iPhone and Apple Watch via Apple Wallet. Now compatible with your Android device using Google Pay!
SmarTrip in Apple Wallet or Google Pay allows you a contactless way to quickly purchase a transit card to pay for a train, bus or parking wherever SmarTrip is accepted. Adding SmarTrip to your mobile device keeps all your cards in one place and allows you to skip the fare vending machines in stations when you're in a hurry. Manage purchases, tap, and go all from your phone.
Buying a SmarTrip card in Apple Wallet or Google Pay does not register your card to protect your balance. For this added protection, download the SmarTrip app!
Why download the SmarTrip app?The SmarTrip app for iOS and Android unlocks the full power of your SmarTrip card, acting exactly like a fare machine in your pocket and more. Create an account or log in to your existing SmarTrip account to manage all of your cards (mobile or plastic), protect your balances, add value to multiple cards, make purchases with your SmartBenefits and find the closest transit service nearby.
Some functions are not available without using the SmarTrip app depending on your mobile operating system. We encourage everyone to download the SmarTrip app for the best possible experience!
Apple Wallet, Google Pay, or SmarTrip App?
The SmarTrip app is the best place to get to know SmarTrip on mobile. However, there are a few differences between iOS and Android we'd like to point out:
- To transfer a plastic SmarTrip card to mobile:
- - On iOS, start the transfer using your Apple Wallet
- On Android, download the SmarTrip App to transfer your registered card
- To purchase a pass for your SmarTrip:
- - On iOS, you'll need the SmarTrip app to buy any pass
- On Android, while we'd love it if you used the SmarTrip app, you also can make a pass purchase in Google Pay.
- To add multiple, active SmarTrip cards:
- - In Apple Wallet, you can have up to 12 cards (SmarTrip+Credit Cards)
- In Google Pay, only one card, per Google account can be active at a time
- To pay at a fare gate or fare box:
- - On iOS, if Express Transit is turned on, tap & go.
- On Android, GPay must be your default payment app. Then wake your phone, tap & go. (Keeping in mind where your NFC antenna is located)
Get the SmarTrip app and get going... Riding Metro and other local transit services couldn't be any easier!