Potomac Yard Station is Open!
Metro's newest station is now open! On, May 19, 2023, Metro and the City of Alexandria celebrated the grand opening of Potomac Yard Station. This marks the opening of Metro's 98th rail station and its second infill station, meaning a station built along the existing rail line. The station is located in Alexandria, Va. on the Blue and Yellow Lines between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Braddock Road stations. Read more
The new Potomac Yard Station provides additional Metrorail access between Alexandria, Va and the DC region, with a gateway to retail, dining, education, job opportunities, and services. This is the 98th rail station and the second infill station in Metro's history. The station offers walkable access to the Virginia Tech Innovation Campus under development, connections to other regional transportation systems, Bike & Ride facilities, and walking paths to the station from the surrounding area. More than 3,750 feet of new track was used to connect Potomac Yard Station with the existing Metrorail tracks to bring this station to life.
Potomac Yard is anticipated to become one of the first rail stations in North America to receive Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. To receive this designation, the following station criteria are being carried out:
- Station surroundings that promote walkability and encourage sustainable transportation
- Construction waste diverted from landfills for recycle or reuse
- Rainwater management to help preserve local wetlands
- Views from the station that connect customers to the natural outdoor environment
- Reduced water usage through native plantings and efficient mechanical equipment
- Station artwork that incorporates natural elements
- Reduced energy usage and carbon footprint through state-of-the-art escalators and heating/air technologies
- A new Metro connection that fills a previous transit gap
Potomac Yard Station
North Pavilion: 3201 University Drive
South Pavilion: 3001 Potomac Avenue
Both entrances are connected to the station via a pedestrian walkway.
|Use the Potomac Yard Trail or Potomac Ave.|
|Use the Potomac Yard Trail or Potomac Ave. Secure bike parking is available at the North Pavilion with room for 49 bikes, with Capital Bikeshare stations nearby.|
|There is no Kiss & Ride or commuter parking available.|
|Metroway and DASH bus stops are near the North Pavilion entrance.|
Bus Service & Boarding Locations:
Potomac Yard Station is located in an area of vigorous mixed-use development, so additional options to access the station may be available in the future.