Accessibility Advisory Committee
Metro is recruiting for new members of the Accessibility Advisory Committee. Specifically, the AAC is recruiting for one member from Montgomery County, Maryland; one member from the Alexandria, VA; and one member from any Virginia Jurisdiction (Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax City/County, or Falls Church).
To qualify, individuals must be riders of Metrobus, Metrorail and/or MetroAccess; reside in the District of Columbia, Prince George's County, Montgomery County, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Fairfax City, City of Falls Church, or the City of Alexandria. Metro employees, contractors or elected officials are not eligible. Candidates will be chosen to represent a cross-section of customers who are disabled and/or are seniors, and to represent different locations in the Metro service area. Committee members serve voluntarily and are appointed by the Board to serve a two-year term.
The deadline to apply is 5:00 p.m., Monday, June 4, 2018:
- Submit an application online
- Call 202-962-1100 to request an application form or assistance with completion; or
- Mail completed applications to WMATA Accessibility Advisory Committee at 600 Fifth Street, NW, Room 7A-01, Washington, DC 20001 or fax to 202-962-1274.
Not all applicants will be selected. All applications will be retained for two years from the date submitted for future consideration.
View the June 2018 Accessibility Advisory Committee meeting notice .
The next Accessibility Advisory Committee meeting will take place June 4, 2018. Members of the public who attend committee meetings are encouraged to notify Metro in advance if they require accommodations. Requests for accommodations can be made at 202-962-1100 or TTY 202-962-2033.
Metro's Accessibility Advisory Committee was created to address the needs of senior citizens and people with disabilities. Their efforts have resulted in numerous service upgrades including the addition of:
- barriers between rail cars to alert customers who are blind or have low vision of the space between the rail cars and
- gap reducers, which make it easier for customers who use wheelchairs to board Metrorail trains.
People with disabilities and their advocates are welcome to attend Committee meetings. They are held the first Monday of each month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the lobby level Meeting Room at Metro's Headquarters at 600 5th Street, NW. Members of the public who attend committee meetings are encouraged to notify Metro in advance if they require accommodations. Requests for accommodations can be made at 202-962-1100 or TTY 202-962-2033.
Accessibility Advisory Committee Subcommittees
Bus and Rail Subcommittee: The Bus and Rail Subcommittee of the Accessibility Advisory Committee addresses issues that are specifically related to the accessibility of Metrobus and Metrorail service. More information on the Bus and Rail Subcommittee, including meeting dates.
MetroAccess Subcommittee: The MetroAccess Subcommittee of the Accessibility Advisory Committee addresses issues that are specifically related to the MetroAccess service. More information on the MetroAccess Subcommittee, including meeting dates.
Accessibility Advisory Committee Meetings and Agendas
Note: Recorded audio is available for monthly Accessibility Advisory Committee Meetings and is indicated by the loudspeaker icon. Click on the icon to hear the meeting audio.
- AAC July 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - July 2, 2018
- AAC June 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - June 4, 2018
- AAC May 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - May 7, 2018
- AAC April 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - April 2, 2018
- AAC March 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - March 5, 2018
- AAC February 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - February 5, 2018
- AAC January 2018 Meeting - 5:30 PM - January 2, 2018