Metro Transit Police Citizen's Academy
To assist the community in better understanding police training, procedure, and philosophy, the Metro Transit Police (MTPD) offers a 8-week Citizen's Police Academy (CPA) available to applicants who are residents of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as WMATA employees, members of local civic and governmental organizations. Participants of the CPA are given the opportunity to experience firsthand many areas of police training. The program parallels the same subject areas that police officer candidates receive, functioning as "mini-capsules" of the basic training program. The CPA is for informative purposes only, and it does not train or give authority to participants to act in a law enforcement capacity. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
The 8 weekly sessions will include topics such as:
- Youth Services
- Crisis Intervention
- Hazardous Devices and K-9
- Special Response Team
- Police Communications
- Crime Analysis and Records
- Evidence and Property
- Police Training
- Criminal Investigations
- Crime Scene Investigation
|When:||September 20, 2023|
Metro Transit Police Department's Police Headquarters
4100 Garden City Drive Hyattsville, Maryland
The program is FREE of charge to all participants.
PROGRAM SPACES ARE STILL AVAILABLE!!
- Deadline to apply is September 10, 2023
- The CPA will accept up to 20 applicants per class
- The time commitment for participants is 8 weeks, one to two hours per session, plus a required ride-along with an officer.
For more information on the CPA, please contact Lieutenant Bret Groth at email@example.com.
To apply to the Citizen’s Police Academy, please complete the following steps:
- Download and fill out the CPA Registration Form here.
- Download and fill out the CPA Waiver Form here.
- Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Citizen Police Academy Registration
Rules and Requirements
To read more about the rules and requirements for the Citizen's Police Academy, click here.