Reduced Fare Programs
Metro Lift is our all-new program for local customers who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. Eligible customers will receive 50% off Metrobus and Metrorail trips.
Read more at wmata.com/metrolift.
People with Disabilities under the age of 65
People with qualifying disabilities who possess a Reduced Fare SmarTrip® Photo ID Card may ride for half the fare on Metrobus, Metrorail, and other participating transit agencies.
How to Apply
The Reduced Fare Application for People with Disabilities, a valid government identification card, and one of the following options can be used when applying for the Reduced Fare Program.
- Reduced Fare Application for People with Disabilities application signed by a licensed medical professional; or
- Medicare card for individuals under the age of 65; or
- Veteran Disability Certification letter with 60% or greater disability rating by the Department of Veteran Affairs or a DD2765 Uniformed Services card; or
- Audiogram with a pure tone average of 70dB or greater in both ears regardless of hearing aids
Groups (of six or more) are encouraged to schedule appointments for off-site photo ID sessions by contacting the Travel Training/Outreach at 202-962-2703 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where to Get a Reduced Fare Photo ID Card
Photo ID cards are only issued in person at the following issue locations:
- Transit Accessibility Center, 655 Virginia Ave SW, Washington, DC 20024
- Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, 8:15 AM - 3:50 PM and Tuesday 8:15 AM - 2:20 PM, excluding holidays
- TRIPS Commuter Store, 8404 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD 20910
- Office Hours: First and third Monday of the month, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM, excluding holidays
Reduced Fare Photo ID Card Renewal
- The renewal process requires medical certification or Medicare card (if applicable) and a copy of the current Reduced Fare SmarTrip for People with Disabilities or a valid government identification card.
- Visitors to the DC Metro area can be issued a 30-day temporary courtesy Reduced Fare SmarTrip Photo ID Card.
- To obtain a visitor's card:
- Visit the Transit Accessibility Center.
- Show valid government-issued photo identification and one of the following
- A valid Disability ID card from another transit agency
- A current letter from a healthcare provider certifying their disability
Senior SmarTrip Card
Discounted fares for passengers of the age of 65 and older with Senior SmarTrip available in both plastic and digital versions.
- To qualify, show a valid government-issued photo ID with proof of age at:
- Please note: Plastic Senior SmarTrip Cards are not available online or in Fare Vending Machines.
- For a mobile version of Senior SmarTrip, please visit one of the locations listed above to get a Senior card and follow these directions to transfer your plastic card to your mobile device:
- Visiting Seniors may pay the reduced Metrobus fare in cash by showing the bus operator a valid government-issued photo ID that includes your date of birth.
- Visiting Seniors may also purchase the Metrobus Weekly Senior Pass at one of these locations.
Reduced Fare Discounts
Customers with Senior SmarTrip or Reduced Fare Photo ID Card are eligible for the following discounts:
- 50% off on Metrorail fare
- $1 fare on regular Metrobus routes using cash or SmarTrip
- $2.10 on Express Metrobus routes
- $3.75 on Airport Express Metrobus routes
- Receive a discounted fare on the following participating bus service providers:
- Alexandria Transit Company - DASH
- Arlington Transit - ART
- CUE Bus System (Fairfax)
- Fairfax Connector
- OmniRide/ PRTC
- Ride On - Montgomery County
- TheBus - Prince George's County
- MTA Bus - Montgomery County